Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Who Here Uses Headphones?

I have a really nice pair of Bowers & Wilkins headphones. They sound great and the build quality is second to none. However, they hurt my ears when I wear them for an extended period of time.

Now, don't get me wrong. I love them but they are one of the physically smaller earpad models and I wonder if my head is simply too thick. My wife thinks so at times.

So, I'm looking for a great-sounding but super comfortable pair. Sennheiser comes to mind when I think of other big headphone companies.

What do you use and how do you like them? I am looking for wired headphones as I want the absolute best sound and don't want to deal with Bluetooth connection issues.

I'm listening.

Have you looked into replacement earpads (OEM or aftermarket)? I'm assuming they're over the ear and not on ear? If so you could get deeper earpads. I did that for some Beyerdynamic DT-880's that I have. Put some extra deep 3rd party pads on. I'm probably not much help though on new stuff. I looked around a lot at the head-fi forums to get an idea of what to get knowing I wanted to try something neutral. I've thought about picking up some Sennheiser though. I know the 6xx series is supposed to be popular but don't really remember the details right now. I don't usually have the extra money to spend on stuff like headphones though. Some of those guys at head-fi are spending tons just on cables/etc. much less the headphones themselves.
    Panasonic 60" VT60 | Denon AVR-X4500H | Sony UBP-X800 | Chane A2.4 L/C/R | Chane A1.4 SR | SVS Elevation Atmos/height | SVS PB-2000 | Logitech Harmony 950 | Comcast "X1 platform" Arris DVR | Apple TV 4K

Mine fit right against the ears but not around like I think you are talking about. They sound great and weren't a ton of money. If they weren't so tight, I would have no problem using them longterm.

Name:  B&W P3 S2.JPG
Views: 53
Size:  37.9 KB

The Sennheisers that I am looking at are in the 500 or 600 series. I need to read up more about the differences in open and closed back designs.

I've been happy with the P5 Mark 2 that you suggested.

I don't know if they're any good, but New Egg has a $300 KEF on sale for $60.
    Passive Preamp: Mod Squad Deluxe; Amp McCormack DNA-1 Mod 1; Hi Rez & blu-ray/DVD Front End: Oppo BDP-95 With Region Hack; CD front end: Esoteric P-10->Kimber/Illuminati Digital Cable-> PS Audio SL3; CD Recorder: Tascam 900SL; Cassette Deck: Nakamichi DR2; Speakers (2.0): NHT 2.5I; Analog Cable: Tara Analog Standard, Pandora & Omni Bi-Wired Speaker Cable; Various aftermarket power cords; Power Conditioner: Adcom, Televsion: Vizio E55-C1

Quote Originally Posted by moomoomoomoo View Post
    I've been happy with the P5 Mark 2 that you suggested.
    That's great. I love the sound of mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Rainwater View Post
    Mine fit right against the ears but not around like I think you are talking about. They sound great and weren't a ton of money. If they weren't so tight, I would have no problem using them longterm.

The Sennheisers that I am looking at are in the 500 or 600 series. I need to read up more about the differences in open and closed back designs.
    Ah ok I've never seen those before. Definitely on ear yeah new pads wouldn't help that. You'd have to try bending the frame or something. If you get one of the Sennheisers I'd be interested to know what you pick and what the sound profile is on it. I've been looking for something to add to my collection that's maybe not bone dry neutral like the DT-880's.
    Panasonic 60" VT60 | Denon AVR-X4500H | Sony UBP-X800 | Chane A2.4 L/C/R | Chane A1.4 SR | SVS Elevation Atmos/height | SVS PB-2000 | Logitech Harmony 950 | Comcast "X1 platform" Arris DVR | Apple TV 4K

I have an older pair of the Senn HD590 over the ears. They sound like 1X 10^6 bucks to my ears but that's very subjective. Also a pair of Grado SR60 but they are no where close to the Senns in sound or comfort, but ok for the price.
    JR

Quote Originally Posted by jerrich View Post
    I have an older pair of the Senn HD590 over the ears.
    The HD 598 Cs is one of the pairs that I was looking at. I had to have our car serviced earlier today and dropped by Best Buy to see what they had to demo. They had two pairs of nice Sennheisrers and one of the higher-end B&W phones in the Magnolia section of the store. However, none of them worked.

I toured the local Senn factory here in Abq a few years ago. The place looked like a sterile clean room. I saw them test every headphone before it left. They also did a lot of wireless equip. that looked very expensive.
    JR

Quote Originally Posted by jerrich View Post
    I toured the local Senn factory here in Abq a few years ago. The place looked like a sterile clean room. I saw them test every headphone before it left. They also did a lot of wireless equip. that looked very expensive.
    JR
    Do they have a B-Stock showroom?