1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Three Jewish Guys and the Black Panther

Three Jewish Guys and the Black Panther

I hear a lot of people giving credit and taking it for the success of the Black Panther, all deserved I am sure. But something is VERY missing to me.

But first, during WW2 comics sold 25 million a month! By the 1950s the comic industry was losing readers to television and super-heroes were nearly extinct. They industry started having stories about monsters, social injustice, and true crime to get back the readers who were now adults.

In 1954 Senator Kefauver had congressional hearings, lead my Dr Fredrick Wertham claiming that comics caused illiteracy, juvenile delinquency, sex crimes and homosexuality. (Really, Google this, it’s true). The forced the industry to have outside censors. While they censors said they were there to limited sex and violence they became story editors prohibiting any stories that related to reality. Nothing could be said about drugs, women’s rights and true crime.

One of the first things they censored was a story entitled “Judgement Day.” It featured an African-American astronaut, and the censors did not want black people in comics. Al Feldstein, the editor fought this and won by embarrassing them.

In 1963, Martin Goodman, publisher of Marvel, had Stanley Martin Lieber (Stan Lee) and Jacob Kurtzberg (Jack Kirby) create a World War II comic based on the 101st Airborne division, entitled Sgt. Fury. In real life, the army was segregated in WW2, but these three would have none of that. They added African-American Gabe Jones to the unit and he was the first African American character to regularly appear in a comic. When they updated Fury to a modern secret agent, Gabe went with him, making him the first black secret agent, months before the former Bill Cosby appeared on I Spy.

This was a big financial risk. In 1966, Dell comics published “Lobo” a western that had a Black leading cowboy. The southern states returned the comic, unopened, along with a dozen others to the distributor, so Dell took a great loss and cancelled the comic after just 2 issues. So Martin Goodman put his money where his heart was and took a risk.

The same trio introduced the Black Panther in Fantastic Four #51 in 1966. They completely covered his face with a mask on the cover for obvious reasons. In 1972, Marvel published the first nation African-American super-hero in with Luke Cage.

These three men took a big financial risk at the time and created The Panther, Wakanda, the technological society and everything you saw in the movie.

Yet no one thanked them, mentioned them, or acknowledged them or anything. They are forgotten and ignored. Yet these are the men who showed the most courage and took the biggest risks.

If Wakanda is forever, it is because of Stan Lee and Jack Kirby. And the Publisher who risked his money!

Name:  Stan Lee Newsday.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  104.4 KBName:  Jack Kirby.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  44.6 KB
    Last edited by Lefisc; 01-31-2019 at 02:54 PM.
    Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp
    : Krell 707 3D; Amp: (center) Krell 400e; Amp Fronts Krell 600e; SACD: Krell Cipher; FM: Day Sequerra FM Reference; Blu-Ray: Oppo BDP 205; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2; Center: Revel Voice 2; Rear/Back: Revel W990/Krell S1500 amp; Subs: 2 SVS SB-13 Ultra; Turntable: VPI 19 Mk 4 w/Tonearm SME 309 & Audioquest 401i; HDTV: Verizon; Projector: JVC DLA-RS 3000; Screen: Stewart Studio Tek 100; Internet Radio: Sonos; Remote: MX850; Pioneer Elite LDS-2 Laser Disc

Forgotten to the masses maybe but never forgotten for those who know the real facts and Barry thanks for the historical insight.
    Main:
    Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player, Sony PS4 Gaming Console, Panamax MR-5100 Surge Protection, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Subs. Pictures here.