Name:  grinch.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  22.5 KB

Plot
Narrated by Grammy Award®winner and Oscar® nominee Pharrell Williams, Dr. Seuss’ The Grinch stars Academy Award® nominee Benedict Cumberbatch (Dr. Strange, “Sherlock”) as the infamous Grinch, who lives a solitary life inside a cave on Mt. Crumpit with only his loyal dog, Max, for company. The incredible voice cast includes Rashida Jones (“Parks and Recreation,” The Muppets) as Donna Who, Kenan Thompson (“Saturday Night Live”) as Bricklebaum, Cameron Seely (The Greatest Showman) as Cindy-Lou Who, and featuring legendary actress Angela Lansbury (Anastasia, Beauty and the Beast) as the mayor of Whoville.

My Thoughts
Here’s another retelling of arguably Dr. Seuss’ most famous story. The narrative doesn’t bring anything new to the table, but the animation is off the charts and there are a few laughs to be had here and there. My biggest gripe is the movie drags and is much too long at 90 minutes. There just isn’t that much meat on the bone to have it run that long—30 minutes could have easily been chopped away. From a presentation standpoint, it looks and sounds excellent and I really enjoyed Danny Elfman’s soundtrack. As an aside, the three mini-movies are extremely funny and you’ll definitely want to check those out.

Video 10/10 (MVC)

Audio 9.5/10 (Dolby Atmos)

Special Features:

• Who’s Who in Who-ville (interactive map)
  • “You’re a Mean One, Mr. Grinch” Lyric Video
  • Three Mini Movies
    • Yellow is the New Black
    • Dog Days of Winter
    • Santa’s Little Helpers

• The Making of the Mini-Movies
  • From Green to Screen
  • Illuminating The Grinch
  • My Earliest Grinch Memories
  • Grinchy Gadgets
  • Songs from His Little Heart
  • X-mas Around the World
  • Cindy-Lou’s Yule Log
  • Production Babies
  • Any Who Can Draw
  • Blu-ray + Movies Anywhere Digital Copy

Conclusion
I never loved the Grinch cartoon growing up, but I did enjoy Ron Howard’s take on the story and it’s something we watch every couple of years at Christmas. This rendition falls in between the two and I was entertained, but not blown away. The animation is excellent though and provides some nice eye candy for your display. Recommended for fans of the story.