Marantz Adds IMAX Enhanced Firmware Update

I just saw this announcement from Marantz.

Name:  IMAX Enhanced.JPG
Views: 162
Size:  42.5 KB

This morning we rolled out a new firmware update which added IMAX Enhanced functionality to the SR8012, SR7013, SR6013 and AV7705 - Be among the first to experience the magic of IMAX Enhanced in your home theater.

You probably have many questions about what IMAX Enhanced is and what it does. Don't worry, we have you covered. We are making a video about IMAX Enhanced and answering as many questions as possible, comment down below with your question for a chance to be featured.
    IMAX Enhanced is a new one on me but I did find this on the IMAX Enhanced website.

IMAX Enhanced is a new licensing and certification home entertainment program. To qualify and carry the IMAX Enhanced logo, the highest-end TVs, projectors, sound bars, and A/V receivers must meet stringent performance standards established by IMAX, DTS and Hollywood’s leading colorists in order to create a consistent and higher bar for image and sound performance on premium devices. IMAX digitally re-mastered content for the home environment is created to provide the sharpest 4K HDR images and powerful sound as the filmmaker intended. We are designing an IMAX Mode for the enhanced devices that will be meticulously optimized to play digitally re- mastered content to deliver the best viewing and listening experience on that device.
    It sounds a bit like THX for UHD Blu-ray. Does anyone have any additional information?

Looks like it's making its way to some Denon AVRs as well.

AVR-X8500, AVR-X6500H, AVR-X4500 so far and Denon says that more are in the works.

My Denon x4500h just picked this up last night. I don't have any discs with it yet so nothing to test with. There was some talk I was following that mentioned it does things kinda like bumping up the low end etc. and modifying settings in the receiver that you may or may not have manually disabled when it plays a disc in that format. I can only hope it reverts those settings after or that would be really annoying. I want to say it was things like dynamicEQ/volume, compression, etc. It's been a while so I don't remember what the discussion was now exactly.

I thought about ignoring it and saving some money by getting a 4400 instead since they were on closeout but since I'm planning to keep this receiver for longer than my last one, and I suffer from FOMO, I went with the 4500 so I could get the IMAX Enhanced capability in case I actually acquire content that uses it. It doesn't seem to have any kind of emulation though like how you can apply a virtual Auro3D to your sources.
    Panasonic 60" VT60 | Denon AVR-X4500H | Sony UBP-X800 | Chane A2.4 L/C/R | Chane A1.4 SR | SVS Elevation Atmos/height | SVS PB-2000 | Logitech Harmony 950 | Comcast "X1 platform" Arris DVR | Apple TV 4K

Just to be clear, it's not just a label like THX, it's actually a modification of the DTS:X format that tweaks the sound. I'm not sure what if any actual tweaks are done on the video end for the 4K displays though.
    Panasonic 60" VT60 | Denon AVR-X4500H | Sony UBP-X800 | Chane A2.4 L/C/R | Chane A1.4 SR | SVS Elevation Atmos/height | SVS PB-2000 | Logitech Harmony 950 | Comcast "X1 platform" Arris DVR | Apple TV 4K

Quote Originally Posted by cpaluda View Post
    Just to be clear, it's not just a label like THX, it's actually a modification of the DTS:X format that tweaks the sound. I'm not sure what if any actual tweaks are done on the video end for the 4K displays though.
    Good to know. From what little I was able to find out on the site, it sounded a bit like another certification standard but it sounds like there might be something to this one. However, another competing codec seems like a further dilution of the high-resolution audio experience.

I suppose we'll have to see some real content to see if there's any merit to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Rainwater View Post
    Good to know. From what little I was able to find out on the site, it sounded a bit like another certification standard but it sounds like there might be something to this one. However, another competing codec seems like a further dilution of the high-resolution audio experience.

I suppose we'll have to see some real content to see if there's any merit to it.
    I just read that Venom is going to get an IMAX Enhanced version. Oops guess I should have waited, I already acquired the 4K with Atmos version.