Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bohemian Rhapsody (Blu-ray) review

Name:  bohemian.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  21.6 KB

Plot
    Bohemian Rhapsody is an enthralling celebration of Queen, their music, and their extraordinary lead singer Freddie Mercury (Malek), who defied stereotypes and convention to become one of history’s most beloved entertainers. Following Queen’s meteoric rise, their revolutionary sound and Freddie’s solo career, the film also chronicles the band’s reunion, and one of the greatest performances in rock history.

My Thoughts
    Growing up, I was aware of the group Queen, but never considered myself a fan. As I’ve aged, I’ve really grown fond of the band and consider them to be one of the legendary bands of the 1970s and 80s.

The movie follows the formation of the band, their rise to fame, and the pressures of success put on its lead singer, Freddy Mercury. It’s an immigrant success story about a young man who never earned the respect of his father, whose creative genius drove the band to greater success, and his ultimate fall due to drug abuse and alcoholism.

I really enjoyed the film, although it can be quite depressing. Malek is outstanding as Mercury and the makeup artists have captured the legendary singer’s overbite with perfection. The film won two Golden Globes for Best Picture and Best Actor (Malek), both of which are deserving.

The A/V quality of the disc is fantastic, particularly the audio track which utilized the rear soundstage extremely effectively during the music sequences. If the footage is from a concert, you feel as if you’re sitting in the crowd as the band entertains the audience.

Video 5/5 (AVC)

Audio 5/5 (DTS-HD MA 7.1)

Special Features:

• The Complete Live Aid Movie Performance Not Seen in Theaters
    • Rami Malek: Becoming Freddie
    • The Look and Sound of Queen
    • Recreating Live Aid
    • DVD + Digital Copy

Conclusion
    There’s a line in the movie where Mercury is accused by his closest friend of burning the candle at both ends. His response is “yes, but it shines so brightly,” or something to that effect. That sums up his short life so well. He died at 45 and much too soon, just like Elvis, Michael Jackson, and Prince, just to name a few other musical geniuses who turned to drugs due to the overwhelming pressure of being a superstar. The film is a serious look at Mercury’s life and its dramatic, sad, and even has some great one liners to lighten the mood. My only gripe is that Fox didn’t send me the 4K to review and I had to “slum” with the regular Blu-ray, which didn’t have the Atmos track on it. Regardless, definitely check this one out. Highly recommended.
    Last edited by David Vaughn; 02-10-2019 at 07:44 PM.
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

I was hoping this one would get a good review.

Do you think it has much replay value? I'm thinking it might be a better rental but it's hard to say.

‘ I burn my candle at both ends, it will not last the night,
    but of my foes and oh my friends, it gives a lovely light.”

edna st vincent millay
    Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp
    : Krell 707 3D; Amp: (center) Krell 400e; Amp Fronts Krell 600e; SACD: Krell Cipher; FM: Day Sequerra FM Reference; Blu-Ray: Oppo BDP 205; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2; Center: Revel Voice 2; Rear/Back: Revel W990/Krell S1500 amp; Subs: 2 SVS SB-13 Ultra; Turntable: VPI 19 Mk 4 w/Tonearm SME 309 & Audioquest 401i; HDTV: Verizon; Projector: JVC DLA-RS 3000; Screen: Stewart Studio Tek 100; Internet Radio: Sonos; Remote: MX850; Pioneer Elite LDS-2 Laser Disc

Greetings,

Nice review Dave. I totally agree and have nothing to add as I enjoyed it as much as you did.
    Regards,

Ralph C.Potts
    AVSForum Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Thanks for the review. Will check it out.
    Main:
    Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player, Sony PS4 Gaming Console, Panamax MR-5100 Surge Protection, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Subs. Pictures here.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Rainwater View Post
    I was hoping this one would get a good review.

Do you think it has much replay value? I'm thinking it might be a better rental but it's hard to say.
    Tracy,

I could see myself watching it again in the future. Also, the Live Aid concert is freaking amazing in how they restaged it with Maleck, which is one of the bonus features that shows the entire 22 minute concert. If you want to have fun, watch the YouTube replay of Queens performance and then the recreated one...it will blow you away in the accuracy.
    David Vaughn

Can't wait for this to hit. I've never really been that much into Queen. I mean I've heard and enjoyed their main radio/movie tunes but that's about it. My wife is a huge fan though and I really like Malek though I had to stop watching Mr. Robot or I was gonna end up on anti-depressants lol. I know this is gonna sound great though and we'll end up buying instead of renting just because of my wife being a big fan.
    Panasonic 60" VT60 | Denon AVR-X4500H | Sony UBP-X800 | Chane A2.4 L/C/R | Chane A1.4 SR | SVS Elevation Atmos/height | SVS PB-2000 | Logitech Harmony 950 | Comcast "X1 platform" Arris DVR | Apple TV 4K

Quote Originally Posted by cpaluda View Post
    My wife is a huge fan though and I really like Malek though I had to stop watching Mr. Robot or I was gonna end up on anti-depressants lol.
    I agree, I stopped watching it too. It started off great and became way too weird after the first season or so.

I stopped after Season One as well...way too depressing for me.
    David Vaughn

I'm not a big Queen fan, but I enjoyed the film.
    Passive Preamp: Mod Squad Deluxe; Amp McCormack DNA-1 Mod 1; Hi Rez & blu-ray/DVD Front End: Oppo BDP-95 With Region Hack; CD front end: Esoteric P-10->Kimber/Illuminati Digital Cable-> PS Audio SL3; CD Recorder: Tascam 900SL; Cassette Deck: Nakamichi DR2; Speakers (2.0): NHT 2.5I; Analog Cable: Tara Analog Standard, Pandora & Omni Bi-Wired Speaker Cable; Various aftermarket power cords; Power Conditioner: Adcom, Televsion: Vizio E55-C1