Name:  four.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  32.4 KB

Plot
Charlie (Hugh Grant, Bridget Jones’s Diary) is a charming bachelor and frequent best man at the string of weddings he attends with his friends. Carrie (Andie MacDowell, Groundhog Day) is an enchanting American who catches his eye just as she is about to marry the wrong man.

My Thoughts
Somehow, I had missed this film back in the 90s and I can’t believe I never sought it out since I usually like Grant’s work. It holds up pretty well today due to the relatively simplistic screenplay, but don’t take that as a criticism. It plays out quite well and there are plenty of laugh-out-loud moments and it’s thoroughly enjoyable from beginning to end. The chemistry with the cast of characters is excellent and by the end of the film you feel like you’re one of the gang.

The A/V presentation is about what you’d expect from a rom-com. Colors are a bit muted, which is par for the course for most movies from the era. Also, there are a couple of scenes that look a little rough around the edges which is probably due to some print damage, although the technicians did a superb job with the elements. The video encode is based on a new 4K scan of the original film elements, but for some reason Shout! Factory decided not to release this in 4K UHD—buy maybe that’s for a future date.

Video 4/5 (AVC)

Audio 4/5 (DTS-HD MA 5.1)

Special Features:

• The Wedding Photographer – An interview with DP Michal Coulter
  • Audio Commentary
  • “The Wedding Planners” Documentary
  • “Four Weddings and a Funeral…In The Making” Featurette
  • “Tow Actors and a Director” Featurette
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Promotional Spots
  • Theatrical Trailer

Conclusion
Having never seen the film before now, I wasn’t sure what to expect and needless to say, I had a great time with the movie. Grant is his usual likable self and his chemistry with McDowell really helps to get you into the story. I also enjoyed the scenes with his gang of friends and some of the conversations at the weddings were hilarious. If you’ve never seen the film, be sure to check it out. Recommended.