A Star is Born (UHD Blu-ray) review

Name:  Star.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  22.0 KB

Plot
    In this new take on the iconic love story, four-time Oscar nominee Bradley Cooper (“American Sniper,” “American Hustle,” “Silver Linings Playbook”) makes his directorial debut, and also stars alongside multiple award-winning, Oscar-nominated music superstar Gaga in her first leading role in a major motion picture. Cooper portrays seasoned musician Jackson Maine, who discovers and falls in love with struggling artist Ally. She has given up on her dream to become a successful singer until she meets Jack, who immediately sees her natural talent.

My Thoughts
    Bradley Cooper has impressed me with his acting talent and I was curious at how well he’d do behind the camera. Well, he’s nails it even though he was snubbed for the Oscar. This is the third time the film has been made in the last 70 or so years and I liked it a lot better than the 1970s version.

First off, Gaga blew me away with her acting ability. In fact, I think she’s a shoe-in for the Best Actress award and while I loved Bradley’s portrayal of the troubled rock star, I don’t think he stands a chance against Rami Malek, but he has a shot at other awards such as Adapted Screenplay and Best Picture, but the Oscar’s did a great disservice by not giving him the director nod.

The story comes across as extremely believable and the chemistry between Bradley and Gaga is genuine from the first time they meet. I was impressed with Bradley’s vocals and Gaga is in a class of her own. To say she has range would be an understatement. I liked the music a lot more than my wife did, but the original songs are quite good and judging by the way the soundtrack has sold, my wife is in the minority.

The AV quality is off the charts, especially the audio track which is outstanding. The concert sequences give you that “being there” feeling and although I don’t have a Dolby Vision capable display, the HDR10 output is breathtaking, especially the use of high dynamic range. My only gripe is the blacks are a bit inconsistent, but other than that it looks great.

Video 9.5/10 (MVC)

Audio 10/10 (Dolby Atmos)

Special Features:

• Jam Session and Rarities
    • The Road to Stardom: Making A Star is Born
    • Music Videos (4)
    • Blu-ray + Digital Copy

Conclusion
    I don’t know if this will win best picture, but I found it to be one of the best films from last year. The music is excellent, the story is dramatic and emotionally moving, and the audio presentation is off the charts. Highly recommended.
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

My wife has said she wanted to see this one ever since the trailer hit TV. At least I know I won't be miserable.

Thanks, David.

I think you'll like it Tracy. No need to bring razor blades into the theater to slit your wrists
    David Vaughn

Greetings,

Nice job Dave. I agree with your sentiments across the board.
    Regards,

Ralph C.Potts
    AVSForum Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Thanks Ralph.
    David Vaughn

Great. I was curious about this one. Thanks for the review. Will check it out.
    Main:
    Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player, Sony PS4 Gaming Console, Panamax MR-5100 Surge Protection, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Subs. Pictures here.

David Vaughn