The Little Mermaid (UHD Blu-ray) review

Name:  mermaid.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  32.0 KB

Plot
    Ariel, is a free-spirited mermaid, who is off on theadventure of a lifetime with her best friend, the adorable Flounder, and thereggae-singing Caribbean crab Sebastian at her side. But it will take all ofher courage and determination to make her dreams come true—and save herfather's kingdom from the sneaky sea witch Ursula.>>

My Thoughts
    When The Little Mermaid hit theaters in 1989 it was the first of a string of big Disney animation hits that included Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, and The Lion King. From a story standpoint, it's at the bottom of the aforementioned titles if one were to rank them by "classic" status, but I think it has the best combination of songs of all the films. Maybe it's because I love Sebastian's Caribbean accent but "Kiss the Girl" is one of my favorite Disney songs of all-time.

The upgrade to UHD is actually quite remarkable, given how good the Blu-ray looks. The detail isn’t leaps and bounds better, but the color rendition on the animation is outstanding and worth the upgrade for this alone. The Atmos track is the best the film has ever sounded and unlike a lot of Disney’s recent releases on UHD, it doesn’t require you to up the volume to enjoy the audio experience. I didn’t get a chance to view the UHD of The Lion King, but after seeing this I may have to open up my wallet.

Video 10/10 (MVC)

Audio 9.5/10 (Dolby Atmos)

Special Features:

• Sing-Along Mode
    • Alan Menken & the Leading Ladies Song
    • “What I Want From You…Is Your Voice”
    • Stories from Walt’s Office – Gadgets & Gizmos
    • #TreasuresUntold
    • DCapella “Part of Your World” Music Video
    • Four Classic Bonus Features
    • “Part of Your World” – A 30-Year Retrospective
    • Classic Bonus Features with Deleted Scenes, Easter Eggs, Music Videos and More!
    • Blu-ray + Digital Copy

Conclusion
    I didn’t get a chance to view the UHD of The Lion King, but after seeing this I may have to open up my wallet after seeing the upgrade with this classic animated title. Here’s hoping that all of the Classic Disney titles look this good on UHD. Highly recommended.
    Last edited by David Vaughn; 02-16-2019 at 10:12 PM.
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine