Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    [QUOTE=TrippleJ;55797]yeah, they won.

In honor of the Oscar I tried again. But still couldn't sit and watch it, so I more or less just skipped around from the halfway point to the end. It got pretty crazy, even moreso visually and also with all the Spider-Things, especially Nic Cage Spider-Noir and Spider-Pig (I think that's what it was).

I've ranted in enough detail already, this flick just ain't for me. Nor is the inevitable sequel (I'm sure they got plenty of alternate universe Spideys still kicking around...)

But its nice that so many people like it, and hopefully we'll get some more of these 'big-budget' animated movies because of it. All the DC shows/movies had very basic animation. Would be cool to see a fancy, expensive animated Batman movie, especially Batman Beyond. (NOT in this art style though obviously). I re-watched that series recently and its great.
    Last edited by Brandon Eberhart; 03-03-2019 at 06:53 PM.
    Follow me on twitter and get free tales of horror, comedy and everything in between.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Eberhart View Post
    When it comes to this movie, I feel like I'm taking crazy pills...

Initially I was curious why on earth an animated Spider-Man movie was getting so much attention, such a wide release. After all, DC has been cranking out great animated movies for years and years. (Batman: Mask of the Phantasm anyone?) Plus, we have live-action Spidey movies. Plus plus we've had over-saturation of Spider-Man for awhile now. I just wasn't interested. Then I saw the trailer..

IMO the animation style is horrendous. Just awful. But EVERYONE was going on and on about how great the movie was, the animation style being a big part of it. Still, I skipped it in theatres. Watched it at home 2 days ago. The first 40 minutes anyway. I was hoping I'd get used to it. I did not get used to it.

What's wrong? Many things.

The stuttery framerate, looks like it was shot sped up then slowed down. (Of course, it wasn't *shot* at all.) Herky-jerky and so not smooth it's incredibly jarring to me.

The art style. The weird, exaggerated aspects of characters faces and bodies. What the hell was Kingpin? He looked like and egg in a suit. (And KILLS Spidey by... punching him?!!?! Spidey got a gd plane dropped on him once and was fine.)

The inconsistent nature of the art style. Some scenes/shots look/feel more like traditional 2D animation. Some are much more Pixar-y, and obviously taking place in a 3D environment. And some have both in the very same shot. Cardboard cutout-looking characters close to camera, with 3 dimensional cars and building in the background.

Sometimes they do comic book-y stuff, like using divided panels. But not much, and for no discernible consistent reason. Sometimes the shading on characters has the 'dotted' look of printed comics. But sometimes not. Sometimes both, on the same character. (Smooth shading on the face, dotted shading on their clothes.)

Same with the colors. Some scenes/shots look like a hippie acid trip, some look realistic.

There's more, but you get the idea.

I can't remember the last time I shut off a movie at the 40m mark. Or EVER shut off a movie because the visual style was so awful-looking to me. I stopped it 1/2 way through a big chase scene because it was genuinely hurting my eyes,, and giving me a headache. Like, an actual headache, not just exaggerating. I've brought this up with lots of people, and nobody seems to agree with me.

So, guys, what in the hell am I missing? What's wrong with me? Everyone loves this movie. It's up for an Oscar, and will likely win. Help me understand why you like it. Hell, help me understand how you could simply *tolerate* it.

Putting wrong what once went right!

I hated this movie. Boy, that is an understatement. Brandon was right, so right.
    At DC, years after the original Flash was cancelled, DC brought back a totally new one. DC was besieged by fans asking what happened to the old one and they established a second universe, Earth I and Earth II. And so the Multiverse began, and at first it was brilliant. Then, with conflicting stories it created total confusion and no permanence to characters, they could always be replaced.

Stan Lee hated this and Marvel was strictly ONE Universe. And when characters died they stayed dead, unlike today when death is not the end, not even in this movie. Stan Lee left production in 1973 and in 1976 Marvel introduced their own multi- universe and I stopped reading comics in 1977.
    See: http://forbushman.blogspot.com/2019/...ng-comics.html

The story made no sense and was 30 minutes too long. Well, it really was 120 minutes too long. Come on, a Spider-Pig? This is only for children. Given a choice, I’d watch the Lone Ranger a second time before this!

One final thing that always gets me in trouble. we do need diversity, but can we have original Female Characters in movies and not feminine redos of Male characters? Not just SuperGIRL, Captain Marvel (originally a man), but Ghostbusters. Those four actresses deserved better than a second sequel to a great movie. Here Doc Ock is a woman.

Name:  Flash_Jay_Garrick_0031.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  100.2 KB
    Name:  AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 053 003.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  105.1 KB
    Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp
    : Krell 707 3D; Amp: (center) Krell 400e; Amp Fronts Krell 600e; SACD: Krell Cipher; FM: Day Sequerra FM Reference; Blu-Ray: Oppo BDP 205; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2; Center: Revel Voice 2; Rear/Back: Revel W990/Krell S1500 amp; Subs: 2 SVS SB-13 Ultra; Turntable: VPI 19 Mk 4 w/Tonearm SME 309 & Audioquest 401i; HDTV: Verizon; Projector: JVC DLA-RS 3000; Screen: Stewart Studio Tek 100; Internet Radio: Sonos; Remote: MX850; Pioneer Elite LDS-2 Laser Disc

I won't be watching this until tomorrow night due to business travel. I should have a review up by Friday.
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

I can understand Barry's objection and dislike based on his comment that it goes against Lee's vision of the character.

However, you guys have negative impressions of the film's animation style and this was the winner for best animated film. Those who voted were clearly mistaken.

Tracy those people also voted for Trump!!!!!!
    Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp
    : Krell 707 3D; Amp: (center) Krell 400e; Amp Fronts Krell 600e; SACD: Krell Cipher; FM: Day Sequerra FM Reference; Blu-Ray: Oppo BDP 205; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2; Center: Revel Voice 2; Rear/Back: Revel W990/Krell S1500 amp; Subs: 2 SVS SB-13 Ultra; Turntable: VPI 19 Mk 4 w/Tonearm SME 309 & Audioquest 401i; HDTV: Verizon; Projector: JVC DLA-RS 3000; Screen: Stewart Studio Tek 100; Internet Radio: Sonos; Remote: MX850; Pioneer Elite LDS-2 Laser Disc

Quote Originally Posted by Lefisc View Post
    Tracy those people also voted for Trump!!!!!!
    Barry, no one in Hollywood or who has an Oscar vote, voted for Trump. I would go so far as to say that two conservatives on this site didn't either.

I would agree with Tracy. Hollywood voters for Oscar most definitely would not have voted for Trump. lol.

I suspect the reason it won was the animation style of the film. It is very different for a typical animated film.

See video here.

Last edited by TrippleJ; 03-20-2019 at 04:03 AM.
    Main:
    Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player, Sony PS4 Gaming Console, Panamax MR-5100 Surge Protection, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Subs. Pictures here.