Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Green Book (UHD Blu-ray) review

Name:  greenbook.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  23.7 KB

Plot
    When Tony Lip (Mortensen), a bouncer from an Italian-American neighborhood in the Bronx, is hired to drive Dr. Don Shirley (Ali), a world-class Black pianist, on a concert tour from Manhattan to the Deep South, they must rely on The Green Book to guide them to the few establishments that were then safe for African-Americans. Confronted with racism, danger as well as unexpected humanity and humor—they are forced to set aside differences to survive and thrive on the journey of a lifetime.

My Thoughts
    I should have posted this review over the weekend before the film won for Best Picture, which I though it would. Of all of the movies I’ve seen from 2018, this is the best overall one due to the compelling story, the growth of the characters, and phenomenal performances by both Mortensen and Ali—who ended up winning the Best Supporting Actor Oscar. Mortensen was nominated and on any other year may have won, but this was a very tough year for the Best Actor award.

This is one of those films that you can definitely watch more than once because the story is so compelling. I'll probably watch it a second time in a few weeks just to see if I can get a bit more out of the story, but it's definitely one of the best films in the past few years and blows away last year's Best Picture winner, The Shape of Water.

Video 9/10 (MVC)

Audio 9/10 (Dolby Atmos)

Special Features (Housed on BD Disc):

• Virtuoso Performances
    • An Unforgettable Trip
    • Going Beyond the Green Book
    • Blu-ray + Digital Copy

Conclusion
    There’s been some controversy surrounding how true this story is, but of the reading I’ve done it looks to be mostly accurate with some minor liberties taken in the story to fit it into the movie runtime. It’s an excellent character drama that has likable characters, some good laughs and some of the best acting you’ll see in a film. Highly recommended.
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

Thanks for the review. I will check it out.
    Main:
    Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player, Sony PS4 Gaming Console, Panamax MR-5100 Surge Protection, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Subs. Pictures here.

I don’t know what makes a movie “the best.” But I know that this, and Stan and Ollie are my favorites of the last year.

Do the right thing snd check this movie out.
    Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp
    : Krell 707 3D; Amp: (center) Krell 400e; Amp Fronts Krell 600e; SACD: Krell Cipher; FM: Day Sequerra FM Reference; Blu-Ray: Oppo BDP 205; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2; Center: Revel Voice 2; Rear/Back: Revel W990/Krell S1500 amp; Subs: 2 SVS SB-13 Ultra; Turntable: VPI 19 Mk 4 w/Tonearm SME 309 & Audioquest 401i; HDTV: Verizon; Projector: JVC DLA-RS 3000; Screen: Stewart Studio Tek 100; Internet Radio: Sonos; Remote: MX850; Pioneer Elite LDS-2 Laser Disc

I've requested Stan and Ollie for review.
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

Quote Originally Posted by Lefisc View Post
    Do the right thing snd check this movie out.
    Seems you're trying to send someone a message. Practice a bit of humility, perhaps?

As always, I'm very behind on watching the latest award-winners. This one is definitely on my watch list as time allows.

Thanks for the review.

Greetings,

Totally agree Dave. Loved Green Book. My review went up before the Oscars .

P.S. - I requested Stan and Ollie as well. Looks to be excellent..
    Regards,

Ralph C.Potts
    AVSForum Blu-ray Disc Reviews

I understand that Spike Lee got upset and walked out when Green Card won for best picture. He later spoke as if his movie came in second in the voting, when it could have come in at third, fourth or even last in the Oscar voting. I don’t know. It seems more of a childish temper tantrum, and, perhaps, he should be more respectful to the winner. After all, Green Card was also a look back at a terrible era.

I did, over the weekend, see on cable, “Do The Right Thing!” another movie Mr. Lee was upset about not winning best picture. Mr. Lee’s movies seem to be docu-dramas, more than straight movies to me, I guess. I am never drawn into them and I never identify or relate to any the characters. I watch it, curious how it winds up, but I don’t really care about any of the characters and I feel very manipulated. I think the reason is simple, and is demonstrated by the on screen messages at the end. Mr. Lee concentrates more on sending a message and making some points, many of them important, but is less concerned with making a movie that I would enjoy.
    Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp
    : Krell 707 3D; Amp: (center) Krell 400e; Amp Fronts Krell 600e; SACD: Krell Cipher; FM: Day Sequerra FM Reference; Blu-Ray: Oppo BDP 205; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2; Center: Revel Voice 2; Rear/Back: Revel W990/Krell S1500 amp; Subs: 2 SVS SB-13 Ultra; Turntable: VPI 19 Mk 4 w/Tonearm SME 309 & Audioquest 401i; HDTV: Verizon; Projector: JVC DLA-RS 3000; Screen: Stewart Studio Tek 100; Internet Radio: Sonos; Remote: MX850; Pioneer Elite LDS-2 Laser Disc

Remember that interview where Glenn Close went off because she was passed over 6 or 7 times at the Oscars? Me neither.

Class, it takes class.
    Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp