Mortal Engines (UHD Blu-ray) review

Name:  mortal.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  26.0 KB

Plot
    Visionary filmmaker Peter Jackson presents a startling new adventure unlike any you’ve seen before. Hundreds of years after out civilization was destroyed, a new world has emerged. A mysterious young woman named Hester Shaw leads a band of outcasts in the fight to stop London—now a giant predator city on wheels—from devouring everything in its path.

My Thoughts
    I remember seeing the trailer for this film and thinking it looked pretty stupid. It turns out it was, so looks weren’t deceiving. On the plus side, the world building is well done—although farfetched—and the attention to detail is amazing, unfortunately, the middling screenplay and horrendous character development has it rolling off a cliff in the third act. The main character could have been fleshed out so much better, but the entire plot feels rushed and the supporting characters seem to have no point to the story other than bridges to subplots that don’t matter in the end.

The presentation is excellent though and is one reason why I stayed with it until the end. Colors pop off the screen and the use of HDR is well done. Throw in an engaging Atmos mix and you’re left with a nearly reference presentation.

Video 9.5/10

Audio 9.5/10 (Dolby Atmos)

Special Features:

4K UHD Disc

• Welcome to London
      • Building the Beast
      • Levels of London
      • The Smallest Details
      • London Museum
      • Medusa and St. Paul’s

Blu-ray

• End of Ancients
    • Character Series
    • Welcome to London (same as above)
    • In the Air
    • Film New Zealand
    • Feature Commentary with Director Christian Rivers
    • Digital Copy

Conclusion
    Based on the award-winning book series by Philip Reeve, this is a story that should have been told in a TV series on Netflix or Amazon instead of a two-hour feature film. The characters needed to be fleshed out further in order to understand and empathize with their situations. Unfortunately, the translation from book to screen didn’t check all the boxes and you’re left feeling hollow—much like the film itself. Skip it until it hits the bargain bin.
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

It might make a decent rental, but I suppose you would miss out on the two things you mentioned as positives - the HDR video and Atmos audio. I bet those aren't on the standard Blu-ray release and I know of nowhere that you can rent the UHD disc.

Bummer.

Greetings,

Totally agree across the board. Nice review Dave..!
    Regards,

Ralph C.Potts
    AVSForum Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph P. View Post
    Greetings,

Two thumbs down. I suppose it's a pass.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph P. View Post
    Greetings,

Thanks Ralph. Great minds....

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Rainwater View Post
    Two thumbs down. I suppose it's a pass.
    LOL
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Rainwater View Post
    It might make a decent rental, but I suppose you would miss out on the two things you mentioned as positives - the HDR video and Atmos audio. I bet those aren't on the standard Blu-ray release and I know of nowhere that you can rent the UHD disc.

Bummer.
    Actually, Atmos IS on the blu-ray. I have it in from Netflix right now. The plot is definitely, yeah. The audio is a lot of fun though. We're about 3/4's through it and had to do some other stuff, hopefully we'll finish it tonight.
    Panasonic 60" VT60 | Denon AVR-X4500H | Sony UBP-X800 | Chane A2.4 L/C/R | Chane A1.4 SR | SVS Elevation Atmos/height | SVS PB-2000 | Logitech Harmony 950 | Comcast "X1 platform" Arris DVR | Apple TV 4K

Quote Originally Posted by cpaluda View Post
    Actually, Atmos IS on the blu-ray. I have it in from Netflix right now. The plot is definitely, yeah. The audio is a lot of fun though. We're about 3/4's through it and had to do some other stuff, hopefully we'll finish it tonight.
    Good to hear. My biggest gripe about Atmos is that it's usually limited to UHD discs (at least that I've seen) and I'm not ready to go to a 4K projector just yet.

Yeah it is though I've noticed a few more surprising titles coming with Atmos on blu-ray recently when I was filling my Netflix list so I guess that's good. I kinda solved the problem even though I don't have a 4K set yet by just replacing my old 2009 blu-ray with a 4K player last year and buying 4K discs. It downscales them just fine, and I don't have to worry about missing the Atmos or DTS:X track.
    Panasonic 60" VT60 | Denon AVR-X4500H | Sony UBP-X800 | Chane A2.4 L/C/R | Chane A1.4 SR | SVS Elevation Atmos/height | SVS PB-2000 | Logitech Harmony 950 | Comcast "X1 platform" Arris DVR | Apple TV 4K

Oh and yeah we finished this last night. If you can rent it on blu-ray disc (vs streaming) for the Atmos track and uncompressed audio it's a nice audio visual ride even though the story is definitely lacking. David wasn't kidding about the serious lack of character development. Kinda surprising considering the 2 hour run time. I mean they kinda weaved in a back story during the middle and later parts but it didn't really do anything for the main plot and actually distracted from it a bit since they kept jumping to it and it didn't have anything to do with the main story really.

Quote Originally Posted by cpaluda View Post
    I kinda solved the problem even though I don't have a 4K set yet by just replacing my old 2009 blu-ray with a 4K player last year and buying 4K discs. It downscales them just fine, and I don't have to worry about missing the Atmos or DTS:X track.
    Then I would have to give up on my Oppo BDP-103 and I am no quitter.

It does sound like a good solution for movies that have a lot of replay value and eventually, everything will be 4K (or beyond) by default.