Fantastic Beasts - The Crimes of Grindelwald (UHD Blu-ray) review

Name:  crimes.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  32.0 KB

Plot
    At the end of the first film, the powerful Dark wizard Gellert Grindelwald (Johnny Depp) was captured by MACUSA (Magical Congress of the United States of America), with the help of Newt Scamander (Eddie Redmayne). But, making good on his threat, Grindelwald escaped custody and has set about gathering followers, most unsuspecting of his true agenda: to raise pure-blood wizards up to rule over all non-magical beings.

In an effort to thwart Grindelwald’s plans, Albus Dumbledore (Jude Law) enlists his former student Newt Scamander, who agrees to help, unaware of the dangers that lie ahead. Lines are drawn as love and loyalty are tested, even among the truest friends and family, in an increasingly divided wizarding world.

My Thoughts
    This was one of the few movies I went to see in the theaters last year and found it to be somewhat middling on my first viewing. In fact, I fell asleep at one point because the story just didn’t keep me engaged. Upon a second viewing, it improved a little bit, but not much. It’s very predictable and while I like how they integrate Dumbledore into the story, I felt the narrative was a bit forced and served more as a point to set up future movies than to tell a full story in this installment. As expected, it ends in somewhat of a cliffhanger so we can run back to the theaters in 2020.

Video 9.5/10

Audio 9.5/10 (Dolby Atmos)

Special Features:

Blu-ray

• J.K Rowling: A World Revealed
    • Wizards on Screen, Fans in Real Life
    • Distinctly Dumbledore
    • Unlocking Scene Secrets
      • The Return to Hogwarts
      • Net’s Menagerie
      • Credence, Nagini and the Circus Arcanus
      • Paris and Place Cachée
      • Ministere des Affaires Magiques
      • Grindelwald’s Escape and the Ring of Fire

• Deleted Scenes
    • Digital Copy

Conclusion
    Written by J.K. Rowling herself, you got to hand it to the author on weaving a complicated tale that drives people to the theaters, but this series doesn’t have the magic that Harry Potter brought to the masses. This installment lays a foundation for future films and it was entertaining, but it’s not something that sticks with you for very long. The presentation is extremely good, so that’s enough reason to give it at least one viewing.
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

Thanx again Dave. I got the first one on your recommendation, but let me watch this one first before buying
    Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp
    : Krell 707 3D; Amp: (center) Krell 400e; Amp Fronts Krell 600e; SACD: Krell Cipher; FM: Day Sequerra FM Reference; Blu-Ray: Oppo BDP 205; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2; Center: Revel Voice 2; Rear/Back: Revel W990/Krell S1500 amp; Subs: 2 SVS SB-13 Ultra; Turntable: VPI 19 Mk 4 w/Tonearm SME 309 & Audioquest 401i; HDTV: Verizon; Projector: JVC DLA-RS 3000; Screen: Stewart Studio Tek 100; Internet Radio: Sonos; Remote: MX850; Pioneer Elite LDS-2 Laser Disc

I am such a huge Harry Potter fan. I am looking forward to seeing this one although I wasn't too impressed with the first Fantastic Beasts film. Yes, it's the same world but I felt very little connection to the characters or the story.

I would like to see the next generation stories of some of the original characters. Let's see what happens to Harry's, Hermione's, Ron's, Draco's kids with of course the occasional appearance of the original H.P. character or two. You could always go back and see James, Lilly, Sirius, Lupin and that generation while they were at Hogwarts. Is that too much to ask? I say no, no it isn't. J.K., please make it so.

David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine