King of Thieves (Blu-ray) review

Name:  theives.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  24.9 KB

Plot
    A famous thief in his younger years, widower Brian Reader, 77 years of age, pulls together a band of misfit criminals to plot an unprecedented burglary at the Hatton Garden Safe Deposit. The thieves, all in their 60s and 70s except for one, manage to escape with allegedly £200 million worth of stolen jewels and money. When police are called to the scene and the investigation starts, the cracks between the eccentric gang members begin to show as they fight over how to share the goods and become increasingly distrustful of each other.

My Thoughts

One would think that a movie based on such a bizarre and stunningly true story would be compelling to watch. It turns out it wasn’t. In fact, what could have been an exciting reenactment of what was dubbed the largest burglary in English history turned out to be as much fun as watching paint dry. The setup to the story takes way too long, the pacing is horrendously slow, the execution of the crime is frustrating to watch due to the carelessness of the crew (although this is probably based on real events—they did get caught after all), and finally, the gags are a bit tired and dare I say it—over the hill.

Video 4/5 (AVC)

Audio 4/5 (DTS-HD MA 5.1)

Special Features:

• King of Thieves: A Bloody Good Idea Featurette
    • Digital Copy

Conclusion
    I really wanted this film to be good given the true-life events surround it, but I just couldn’t get into the story due to the horrific pacing and the idiocy of the crew. I guess I was looking forward to an Ocean’s 11 type story and it never even came close to matching that type of experience.
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

Greetings,

Thanks for taking one for the team Dave. It didn't catch my eye as being of interest so I didn't request. Glad my instincts were correct!
    Regards,

Ralph C.Potts
    AVSForum Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph P. View Post
    Greetings,

Thanks for taking one for the team Dave. It didn't catch my eye as being of interest so I didn't request. Glad my instincts were correct!
    You were smarter than I was!
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine