Mary Poppins Returns (UHD Blu-ray) review

Name:  poppins.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  24.2 KB

Plot
    Michael Banks (Ben Whishaw) — just a child when Mary Poppins first visited 17 Cherry Tree Lane — is now a grown man raising his children Annabel (Pixie Davies), John (Nathanael Saleh) and Georgie (Joel Dawson) with help from his sister Jane (Emily Mortimer). Times are tough in Depression-era London but the winds begin to change and the enigmatic governess, whose unique magical skills can turn any ordinary task into a fantastic adventure, enters the lives of the Banks family once again, having not aged a single day. Teaming up with an old friend, Jack, they take the Banks children on a series of whimsical adventures, encountering colorful characters like Mary’s eccentric Cousin Topsy (Streep), Jack’s lovable band of leeries and bank executives William Weatherall Wilkins (Colin Firth) and Mr. Dawes Jr. (Van Dyke) — bringing life, love and laughter back into the home.

My Thoughts
    I’ve always liked the music from the original Mary Poppins but have found the movie somewhat boring and much too long for my tastes. The same can be said about this sequel. The music is catchy and memorable, but the story mimics the first much too closely and some of the signing and dance routines go on forever! One highlight of the experience is Emily Blunt, who is a beautiful as ever playing the title role and while she mimics a lot of Julie Andrews’ facial expressions, she does her best to put her own mark on the iconic character.

The highlight of the show is the three kids, which are adorable and make the film worth watching at least once but ensure that you’re well rested beforehand because the second act seems like it’s never going to end! In fact, if I were to give a crack at the editing there would be a few scenes I would cut out (sorry Streep) and I would have shortened the leeries dance sequence as well.

The UHD presentation is very good (once you volume adjust the Atmos track) with bright colors and plenty of details. No complaints in this department at all.

Video 9.5/10

Audio 9.5/10 (Dolby Atmos)

Special Features:

Blu-ray

• Deleted Song—“The Anthropomorphic Zoo”
    • The Practically Perfect Making of Mary Poppins Returns
    • Seeing Things From a Different Point of View: The Musical Numbers of Mary Poppins Returns
    • Back to Cheery Tree Lane: Dick Van Dyke Returns
    • Practically Perfect Bloopers
    • Deleted Scenes
    • Play Mivie in Sing-Along Mode
    • UHD + Blu-ray + Movies Anywhere Digital Copy
      • Digital Exclusive: Play Movie with Audio Commentary

Conclusion
    Maybe it was the mood I was in at the time of watching this film, but I didn’t think it was all that great. It plodded through the second act as if stuck in the mud and some of the segments shouldn’t have made it to the final cut. On the plus side the presentation is outstanding, and the three kids are adorable. If you liked the first film, then you’ll probably like this one too.
    Last edited by David Vaughn; 03-10-2019 at 12:55 PM.
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

Darn, I Washoping for a better movie. Thanks, as always, Dave.
    Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp
    : Krell 707 3D; Amp: (center) Krell 400e; Amp Fronts Krell 600e; SACD: Krell Cipher; FM: Day Sequerra FM Reference; Blu-Ray: Oppo BDP 205; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2; Center: Revel Voice 2; Rear/Back: Revel W990/Krell S1500 amp; Subs: 2 SVS SB-13 Ultra; Turntable: VPI 19 Mk 4 w/Tonearm SME 309 & Audioquest 401i; HDTV: Verizon; Projector: JVC DLA-RS 3000; Screen: Stewart Studio Tek 100; Internet Radio: Sonos; Remote: MX850; Pioneer Elite LDS-2 Laser Disc

Barry, it's watchable, but very much like the first film in a lot of ways...especially its length.
    David Vaughn

I liked the original as a kid. It was entertaining despite all the singing and dancing.

Thanks, David.

I liked it as a kid, but due to all the reviews/etc. on this version, and being grown up now, I'm not sure if it's something I'll really watch. We'll see, my Netflix disc queue is getting really bare so it might make it in.
    Panasonic 60" VT60 | Denon AVR-X4500H | Sony UBP-X800 | Chane A2.4 L/C/R | Chane A1.4 SR | SVS Elevation Atmos/height | SVS PB-2000 | Logitech Harmony 950 | Comcast "X1 platform" Arris DVR | Apple TV 4K

It's worth a rental just to watch Blunt for two hours...she is one gorgeous lady!
    David Vaughn

Thanks for the review. Enjoyed the original and will check this one out once available on amazon prime/netflix.
    Main:
    Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player, Sony PS4 Gaming Console, Panamax MR-5100 Surge Protection, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Subs. Pictures here.

Greetings,

If you like the original this one is easily worth your time.
    Regards,

Ralph C.Potts
    AVSForum Blu-ray Disc Reviews