Lord of War (UHD Blu-ray) review

Name:  war.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  27.8 KB

Plot
    Chance leads Yury Orlov to discover his one talent—illegal arms dealing. With his brother’s help, he reaches the top of his trade, supplying anyone whose check clears. His skills and quick wits bring him everything he’s ever wanted—and help him elude a persistent Interpol agent. But at the peak of his prowess, he discovers his customers might demand more than he can give…an those he’s trying to protect could become deadly liabilities.

My Thoughts
    This was a movie that I never got to see during its release in 2005 and it holds up pretty well on a viewing 14 years after the fact. The story is loosely based on a real-life Russian gun runner Viktor Bout, who became the go-to source for guns to despots all around the world. Cage plays his usual persona here (he doesn’t have much range as an actor) as an American immigrant who decides that life in the family restaurant isn’t in the cards for him. He decides that he wants to be a big-time gun runner and you have to give him some credit for meeting his goal.

The movie ended up being much funnier than I thought it would be with plenty of good one-liners. My biggest gripe with the film has to do with gratuitous nudity, that really didn’t need to be in there—granted, I was watching with my wife, mother, and mother-in-law, so maybe that’s why it bothered me so much. Regardless, the story moves along briskly although the third act could have been trimmed about 10 minutes to keep the runtime under two hours.

The audio and video are very good, but don’t really meet the criteria for a reference disc. The video is a tad dark at times with some minor crushing of blacks and the color palette doesn’t lend itself to WCG, other than there’s a lot of blood. The Dolby Atmos track has some decent moments with some explosions and active surrounds.

Video 8/10

Audio 9/10 (Dolby Atmos)

Special Features:

Blu-ray

• Audio Commentary with Writer/Director Andrew Niccoi
    • “The Making of Lord of War” Featurette
    • “Making a Killing: Inside the International Arms Trade” Featurette
    • Deleted Scenes
    • Digital Copy

Conclusion
    Eisenhower warned us about the military industrial complex, and he was right to do so. War has become a huge business around the world and there’s no profit in peace. The end of the cold war spurned a boom in business for anyone looking to unload weapons on the black market and this film gives a glimpse behind that dark curtain. Recommended.
    Last edited by David Vaughn; 03-12-2019 at 06:30 PM.

Thanks for the review. Will check it out.
    Main:
    Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player, Sony PS4 Gaming Console, Panamax MR-5100 Surge Protection, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Subs. Pictures here.

Greetings,

Nice review Dave. I liked the video presentation just a bit more than you did and agree that the sound was solid overall. I have owned the movie on Blu-ray for years and enjoy it.
    Regards,

Ralph C.Potts
    AVSForum Blu-ray Disc Reviews