Captain Marvel: A non-spoiler review

A non-spoiler review of Captain Marvel.

I really liked this movie.

A non spoiler review means that I will not tell you anything more than what you have already seen in the coming attractions and in the previous Marvel movies.

Let me also mention that they take liberties with the original Marvel comics and they make good movies out of them. In the movie, the Skrulls are introduced. They first appeared in Fantastic Four #2, the second comic of the Marvel Age. They are evil aliens who want to take over the Earth. They have the power to shape shift and therefore to look like anyone else. The Kree were introduced in Fantastic Four #64 in 1967. They were an alien race who also want to take over the planet. Both races were created by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby.

This movie is a more of a Flash Gordon, outer space chase movie, than the previous Marvel movies. And once again, it doesn’t look like any of the movie that came before it.

Brie Larson and Samuel Jackson are the stars and since the movie takes place in 1995, Mr Jackson is CGIed to look like his younger self.

There are really three parts to the movie, and not really, but in a sense Ms. Larson plays three different roles. Who she really was, what she became and what she will be after she discovers the truth about herself. Honest to gosh, she does this brilliantly. In discovering who she was, this becomes a “buddy” movie with her and Mr. Jackson for about 1/3 of the movie. It’s funny and fun. It then becomes an origin movie, more complicated than most, so don’t go to the bathroom. It then becomes an action and adventure/space movie with wonderful effects and surround. I suspect our man David will be pleased.

As good as the actors are the plot matches their performance. While it does tie in many of the Marvel plots, they are not necessary to see this movie, which stands on its own.

Stay until the VERY end, there are two scenes during and after the credits. And there is a Stan Lee cameo and a touching tribute to him too.

May I say that Brie Larson did surprise me, I enjoyed her performances a lot. One of Captain Marvel’s creators told me that he didn’t love the movies because they really altered his plots. I just want a good movie.

Oh, I love the cat, but watch out!
    Name:  MS Marvel 1 splash.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  100.4 KB
    Last edited by Lefisc; 03-15-2019 at 08:00 PM.
    Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp
    : Krell 707 3D; Amp: (center) Krell 400e; Amp Fronts Krell 600e; SACD: Krell Cipher; FM: Day Sequerra FM Reference; Blu-Ray: Oppo BDP 205; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2; Center: Revel Voice 2; Rear/Back: Revel W990/Krell S1500 amp; Subs: 2 SVS SB-13 Ultra; Turntable: VPI 19 Mk 4 w/Tonearm SME 309 & Audioquest 401i; HDTV: Verizon; Projector: JVC DLA-RS 3000; Screen: Stewart Studio Tek 100; Internet Radio: Sonos; Remote: MX850; Pioneer Elite LDS-2 Laser Disc

Thanks for the review Barry. Will check it out soon.
    Main:
    Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player, Sony PS4 Gaming Console, Panamax MR-5100 Surge Protection, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Subs. Pictures here.

Good to hear you like this one, Barry. I think that if a diehard comic guy who is also a huge home theater fans likes a movie, it's high praise.

Thanks for the non-spoiler review. I will be watching this one, for sure.

I am actually a bit upset over some of the reviews and comments about the Captain Marvel movie. They are misplaced, insulting and concerning. I don’t read reviews before I see the movie (except here!!!!!) because they can spoil the movie. (David NEVER does that.) But I now have.

It may sound funny to start here but DC movies are mostly based on characters created from 1938-1943. Marvel’s characters were mostly created from 1961-1965 and 1972-1976.

These were time when teenagers and young men dominated the comic book audience. They related to, or identified with, with male super-heroes (often with teen age sidekicks such as Robin) The females’ ones were not very successful. Wonder Women and Captain Marvel (who was known as Ms. Marvel back then) did not do well.

Captain Marvel received Some bad reviews and comments before the movie opened. People said wrong and bad things, “She didn’t smile enough,” “Brie Larson doesn’t want white men to see the movie,” “the movie is anti-men.”

This is baloney. Frankly it has come from a bunch of teen-agers and immature men who, frankly, didn’t want a woman to be “the most powerful;” hero in the Marvel Universe. But instead of saying that, they looked for other silly reasons to justify their bashing of the movie.

Ms. Larson did stress diversity and did say that while the movie was made for everyone, most of the reviewers will be white men. She is right they will be and they may not see all sides of her character. She is deliberately misquoted to make it sound like she said something awful. She does smile a lot in the movie and it is a beautiful smile I might add.

Small spoiler alert! Very small
    Yes, the bad guys in the movie are mostly men and she fights them. But the bad guys in most of these movies have been mostly men. But Nick Fury is a good guy! At first I thought this was totally silly, but with diversity WE NEED MORE WOMEN VILLAINS.

A bigger spoiler alert! But not too much!
    Ms. Larson plays three roles. One of those roles, shown at the beginning of the movie, is a “dominated” women controlled by her circumstances. She struggles and breaks away from this. Several Male reviewers see this a “boring” time in the movie and criticize her for not being more interesting. They didn’t get it. This was reprehensive of the fight many woman had in real life, they are given a role and many struggle to grow a apart from it. (Really, it was kind of like the growrh Rocky went through in his first picture, except the reviewers didn’t want to catch what women may go through.)
    Last edited by Lefisc; Yesterday at 05:54 PM.
    Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp
    : Krell 707 3D; Amp: (center) Krell 400e; Amp Fronts Krell 600e; SACD: Krell Cipher; FM: Day Sequerra FM Reference; Blu-Ray: Oppo BDP 205; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2; Center: Revel Voice 2; Rear/Back: Revel W990/Krell S1500 amp; Subs: 2 SVS SB-13 Ultra; Turntable: VPI 19 Mk 4 w/Tonearm SME 309 & Audioquest 401i; HDTV: Verizon; Projector: JVC DLA-RS 3000; Screen: Stewart Studio Tek 100; Internet Radio: Sonos; Remote: MX850; Pioneer Elite LDS-2 Laser Disc

Barry,

I also liked this one a lot. I ended up seeing it in iMAX in Scottsdale, AZ, since I've been here all week on a business trip. I totally agree that Larson is outstanding and the reviewers who are panning the movie and her portrayal didn't see the same movie that I did. As for the audio and video, I couldn't agree more. This will make a fantastic UHD Blu-ray release. Some scenes were filmed in 8K!
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine